Wednesday, May 14, 2014

OM-Gosh, I am an Olympus Fanboy!

Woe, what a transition! A year ago, I doubted the purpose of existence of (mirror-less) system cameras... and now I am a fanboy...

First I thought,  what is this all about, wanna use small, pick a decent point 'n shoot, such as the Lumix LX7 (still one of my favorite cameras!).
Right, small sensors may not deliver the quality (although that remains to be seen!), however, drawn to quality, one my use a dSLR, even if it is old, such as my trusty Canon Rebel XT (350D) and see what the framing is in the good old optical view-finder.

So, what's the point in the system cameras? There is no point, I thought. And I was wrong!

By now I own 3 different mirror-less systems based of the following cameras:
  1. Canon EOS-M
  2. Samsung NX300
  3. Olympus PEN E-PM2
The EOS-M came with 2 lenses, the stock 18-55mm and a 22mm. Guess which is on the camera the most? Yes, it's the 22mm! I like the camera a lot. Very nice image quality, nothing to complain about, besides the infamous slow focus speed, which I was aware of before the purchase anyway.
The EOS-M is compatible with my speedlites, similarly to my G15, which made my day anyway.

The Samsung NX300 I actually won in a lottery. I like the camera, it has it's quirks however. Never the less, I bought an extra 30mm lens to it, to compliment the 18-55mm kit-lens. In principle I like the camera, although, when shooting in RAW, there is an over-exposed stripe of the left-hand side of the image... not sure what that's all about...

And last but not least, the Olympus PEN E-PM2. I love that camera! I love the micro-4/3 system even more! What brilliant concept!
The E-PM2, as I bought it, came with 2 zoom lenses, the 14-42mm kit lens and a 40-150mm tele-zoom. Both are probably not the best lenses ever made, but, they serve the purpose well!

"Right", I hear you thinking... "that's micro-4/3 vs the rest of the world, what the OM-part of the title anyway?".

As indicated in an earlier post, I was so convinced by the performance of the Olympus PEN E-PM2, that I considered adding a more potent body to the system. The final decision, as you may know, fell on the Olympus OM-D E-M5.

Still, I feel you thinking that this was all said before, and yes, you are right. In essence, I wrote that in a couple of posts before.
And here comes the surprising twist.

As I am shooting in RAW, my pictures end up in Adobe Lightroom (which came with the NX300). And here, the problems begin. While my Canon and Samsung photos look alright, pictures from the Olympus OM-D, which should in theory be very close to the pics of the earlier mentioned cameras, looked crap! Grainy, noisy, mushy would be kind descriptions of what the screen was showing.

Grrr! Now that I bought a rather expensive body, I get rubbish images?! What is that all about?!
May it is not Olympus to blame. I opened said Olympus images in "Darktable" and they were beautiful! Same story when using "Rawtherapee".

Having had doubts about my decision to spent quite some money on the OM-D E-M5 body, seen the first results in Lightroom, I am more than a fanboy of Olympus RAW-files by now, when using either of the free software solutions "Darktable" or "Rawtherapee".

Adobe, please do something about Olympus RAW-files!