Friday, November 13, 2015

Best Match

Matching lenses to any mirror-less camera system does not seem to be such an easy task
That's my turn on the match.

What are the requirements of a match?
  • sensor size close to the design of the lens
  • focus peaking for manual lenses
  • ease of handling
In my personal arsenal, there are Canon EF compatible and M42 lenses. For the assumption of convenience, I would like to write about manual lenses only... M42 are all manual, EF, should not be, besides the funny stuff created by Lensbaby, or the manual lenses made by Samyang.

Regular readers of my blog already know where this is going towards... adapters!
Indeed, my collection holds adapters from EF and M42 to MFT, FX and NX.

Focus peaking?
  • MFT (my cameras) - not supported - some basic hack using art filters of the Olys
  • FX - focus peaking included - poor performance
  • NX - focus peaking included - good performance - press OK bottom every time!
Lenses I use:

Canon EF:
  • full Lensbaby set
  • Samyang 24mm T-S
  • Samyang APS-C Fisheye
M42:
  • 28mm f/2.8
  • 35mm f/2.8
  • 50mm f/1.8
  • 55mm f/1.4
  • 90mm f/2.0
  • 135mm f/2.8
So, there we got 3 system against 2 lens families.
The systems got the pros and cons:
  • MFT - in body image stabilisation, 16 Mpix
  • FX - best sensor, 16Mpix
  • NX - best focus peaking, 20Mpix