Wednesday, February 12, 2014

First Light

... that's what it is called, when a telescope see the first ancient photons, i.e. astronomical photons.
First light, that's what it was for my EOS M tonite.
To keep things simple, I just put the camera on a regular tripod and took some shots of the night sky. No guiding, no nothing, just some shots. My experience told me to not expose beyond 10s, so that start will not create serious trails.
Just for the fun of it, I took some shots of the 7 sisters cluster, using the EF-M 22mm prime @ f/2. The shutter was at 10s and ISO from 100 to 800 (manual focus!).

Mind you, I am living in an extremely light polluted place! The moon provided some unwanted light and there was no filter involved in the shot...

After some GIMPing, this is what the picture was resulting in...
M45 (Pleiades / Seven Sisters) and Hyades open stellar clusters

I wonder what the Canon EOS M can do when hooked up to a real telescope.

Update:
I had to replace the uploaded photo with a linked image, since blogger keeps "improving" images, also by removing "hot pixels", in this case, most of the stars...